I got an interesting call today from Verizon. The original reason for the call appeared to be to sell me various long distance plans. I passed since I use my cell phone for free for long distance. Then they offered me a new local package which actually gives me more services (that I won't use) for less. I had to walk through it a few times just to make sure but they did in fact save me a little over $1 a month. I must say this is the first time in recent memory that a telecom company offered to save me money. Odd I thought honestly.
Recently in Telecom Category
I was reading this article today and it just amazed me. There is another article on it here as well. SBC owns 60% of Cingular and Bell South owns the other 40%. SBC acquired all of AT&T other than its cellular wireless division. The cellular portion was merged into Cingular. This process has been going on for at least 12-18 months. Now that it is almost finally done SBC has decided to take on the old AT&T name since they believe it has a better history behind it. I am not sure if I agree with that or not.
The more interesting part is the potential that Cingular will also take on the name of AT&T (with or without Wireless in it). After countless millions of branding dollars have been spent to merge the Cingular and fromer AT&T Wireless business and customers the idea of this is just amazing. To just totally waste the brand awareness that has been built would to me just appear to be stupid. I guess I don't make enough to understand how to waste millions.