Hopefully this will be the end of my story on this topic. I really can’t take another weekend like this. It could have been a nice relaxing 4 day weekend, but didn’t turn out that way.
I woke up and got into work a few minutes after 9 AM on Sunday February 20. I found that pretty much all the servers had come back up without issue. The only real problem was the UPS that powers the networking equipment didn’t power on. This is was most likely due to me trying to move plugs around on Saturday trying to keep stuff powered up. I turned on that UPS and the network backbone booted up. I found that the firewall again had forgotten to pass any traffic, I had to update its rules to get it working again, have to investigate it again.
Since everything had already been offline for almost 24 hours I decided to do some updates that needed to get done and just leave servers offline for a few more hours. I had a series of Windows updates, drivers and firmware changes that needed to be made. One set of updates was for the hard drive storage which is used by all the servers. Which means I had to shut down all the Virtual Machines and all of the Virtual Servers. The VMs aren’t too bad since they boot fairly quickly. The virtual servers however can take 20-45 minutes to reboot. I had to reboot them a few times to do all the various updates. Once all of that was done I totally shut off the Virtual Servers and began the process of updating of the SAN storage. That process took another hour or so.
Finally about 3:45 PM I had finished all the updates and gotten all the servers fully working again. I then left work and headed out to my car. After getting in and starting my car I realized I forgot my sunglasses inside and headed back in. On my way back to my car I noticed that my driver side front tire was totally flat, yep my tech problems expanded to automotive.
I then set about removing the normal tire and mounting my space saver spare. As I was jacking up the flat tire it began to seep air quickly enough for me to hear it. I never found the hole visually but I could certainly hear it. I then mounted the spare. As I let the car down off the jack I noticed the spare was not “fully” inflated. Which honestly isn’t too surprising since it had been in my trunk for four and a half years. One small bit of luck is that I figured the maintenance shop at my school had some way to inflate tires. I slowly drove around the back of my school to the shop. I found a compressed air hose on a ceiling pulley that was pressurized, lucky for me. After wrestling with an ill fitting mate point on the hose I was able to inflate the spare properly.
As I drove back to the front of the school I noticed a small shiny metallic cylinder on ground. I stopped to look at it since it looked odd. It is good I did since it was the key for my wheel locks. I apparently left it on the lock lug as I drove away and it fell off. If I had succeeded in losing that it would have been a week or so waiting for a new one in mail. Another bit of good luck. I then limped home on my space saver spare.
On Monday February 21 we had the day off for President’s Day. I had decided to get a full set of new tires since I still had the original ones on my car and they had 45 of 50 thousand miles on them already. I didn’t think patching a tire that old was worth it. Kelly and I drove to Costco and I got a new set of 4 Michelin Primacy MXV4 which are the new version or upgrade of the Energy MXV4 that comes default on the Accord. The tires were a little pricier than I had hoped, but they were cheaper at Costco and also had a $70 discount (for 4). I can say for sure the new tires are better than the space saver spare, not ready to decide on them overall yet since I have only driven 10 miles on them.
After getting home from the tires and relaxing for a few minutes I was prodded to determine the fate of the TiVo and its potentially dead drive. I took the “dead” drive and attached it to my arcade PC which I use for this type of diagnosis. I was initially enthused since the drive showed up and seemed to work when I turned on the computer. I then ran a command on the drive to prevent it from falling asleep (going idle) and not waking up. This is a problem that sometimes happens with this model of hard drive in a TiVo. I returned the “dead” hard drive to the TiVo and it worked, hurrah! Another stroke of luck it seems. I will be getting a UPS for this TiVo in hopes of protecting it and keeping it running well into the future.
The end of this story of a weekend of problems ends on a bright note I suppose. Tuesday is a snow day, maybe I can relax a bit after shoveling some more snow. If you made it through all 4 parts thanks for reading and I hope your President’s Day weekend was better than mine.