I started writing this in Late June, but then my blog broke. It works again now (hopefully) so this is a little out of date but I will add more posts soon hopefully. Also lots of pictures.
When I moved into this house I spent a great deal of time, effort and money upgrading the basement into a home theater as I document in my HT Blog. After all the work in the basement I didn’t spend a great deal of time on other sections of the interior or exterior of the house. About 2 years ago Kelly moved in and decided that some time needed to be spent on other parts of the house. One of the first things she wanted to was get a new couch and fix up the living room. She then moved on to the spare bedroom by re-painting and cleaning it up. The next item on the list was the bathroom, which Kelly painted and we put in a new medicine cabinet and light fixture. Kelly then moved on to the yard and exterior of house, this I have been involved with greatly as well. One of major projects of this was building a new deck that was documented here. The yard work continues with the taking down of a dead tree in the back yard and general cleanup of weeds and such.
One of Kelly’s other major pain points all along in this house has been the kitchen and its lack of storage. The kitchen upgrades first started July of 2007 with a new range that actually worked as opposed to the one that was in the house when I moved which didn’t work much at all. The second upgrade was a new dishwasher in February of 2008. Now the most recent upgrade is a new refrigerator. As a result of the new refrigerator we had to remove one of the cabinets due to height and width of the new cabinet. This again brought of the issue of the kitchen and its design and lack of storage. This began an odyssey of cabinet shopping, kitchen layouts and upgrades. As a result we decided on some IKEA cabinets and a new layout of the kitchen / dinning room. The first steps of this process have already begun.
Earlier in the week Kelly began laying new floor down on top of the existing many layers of historic flooring in the kitchen. We went with a product that can easily be laid down without glue. Many will ask why we didn’t do some type of hardwood floor or an engineered product that looks like it. There are two reasons, first we have hardwood floor in other parts of the house and matching it would be very difficult and expensive. Second, that would entail removing the multiple layers of subfloor and other flooring and possibly having to redo the subfloor totally. This is beyond the scope of what we wanted to do and would require redoing the entire kitchen at once. We are hoping to do the kitchen in sections rather than all at once.
As I said Kelly started the floor last week and worked on it yesterday as well. She also primed one wall yesterday and will probably paint it today. I ran a new water line for the water dispenser and ice maker for the new fridge location. This entailed 50 ft of tubing that went from the basement up to the attic and then back down the wall in the kitchen. The next stages are to remove the island / desk in kitchen in prep for the new cabinet in its location. Along with that cabinet we will get the cabinets to surround the fridge in its new location. Once we get those cabinets in we can move stuff into them to allow us to remove the old cabinets both top and bottom.