Our older dishwasher hasn't been working to well recently and I also wanted a quieter one. I had been looking at the Maytag ones to match the range we got recently. I narrowed it down to the MDB8951BWS after some research as the one to get. Over President's day weekend Best Buy, Lowe's, Home Depot and Sears all had it on sale. Best Buy was about $50 more than the other three that were all within $2-3 of each other. We went to Best Buy on Monday and brought pricing from the other places. We had them price match Sears as it was the cheapest and they had free delivery and take away (we found out on the receipt, they didn't tell us it was free up front).
One side note is Best Buy price matching for appliances is amazing, they just pull up a list of competitors and enter the price. There is no calling to verify stock or any resistance at all, this is compared to price matching almost anything else at Best Buy where they have to check local price, stock and other issues before price matching.
On Thursday night after talking to my dad I took apart the old dishwasher. I was very careful to remove anything I thought I might might be needed on the new one. However I forgot to remove a key component. The copper elbow to attach the water input to the dishwasher was left on the old one and taken with it.
Due to a snow day I was home on Friday for the delivery (Kelly was off as well and would have been there if I wasn't.) It got delivered about 1:30 PM. After getting it unboxed I checked the fit and checked how to set it in. As I was doing the install I realized I was missing the elbow, oops. After trimming the mounting strips and adjusting the feet I went on my first trip to Home Depot. I got an elbow that fit properly into the dishwasher but did not fit in existing water copper pipe. I found this out after getting the dishwasher in place. I then took out the first elbow and again headed out to Home Depot for trip number two. I got the second elbow and brought it back and it was wrong as well. After not being to thrilled a second time I called my dad again. After some discussion we figured out I was buying a flange elbow rather than the compression one that I needed. I returned the first two elbows then tried to get a third one. I first found what I was looking for on the rack but when I picked it up it looked wrong. I stood there for 10 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. I then realized what the bag said and what was in it were two different things, the bag was cut open. I found a sealed bag and decided with some encouragement from a Home Depot guy that it was the right one.
At this point it is 5:30 PM (4 hours down already) I got back with what was hopefully the right one. It was the right one. Then I came up against the problem of getting the old compression fitting off, which I couldn't do. I luckily have a next door neighbor that has almost everything tool related. I borrowed his pipe cutter so I could trim the 1-2" off the end and remove the old fitting. I was then able to finish with the new fitting. The first time I turned the water on there was a small leak put I was able to mostly resolve it. About 7 PM I had the dishwasher in place and turned the power on. After that we started a cycle. I watched the input and output to make sure there weren't any more leaks and there didn't seem to be. A little before 8 PM I mounted the final covers on the bottom to totally finish the install.
I did all of the above to save $100-150 for the Best Buy installation charge. Was it worth it, not sure due to time and aggravation. I am just glad I didn't start at 5 PM yesterday as that would have driven me insane. Below you can see the new dishwasher next to the recently added range.