This weekend in DC/Balt there was a rather large storm. It started late Thursday / early Friday and continued until late Saturday / early Sunday. In that time at my house 7" of rain fell, which is a lot. In other areas there was as much as 10". Sometime during the night something concerning my sump pump did not work quite right or quite keep up. When I woke up Saturday there were puddles on the floor in the laundry room. I should have known something was wrong when Zeus came up with wet paws, however I couldn't quite put it all together.
I spent a while trying to figure out what happened or went wrong. I noticed that the two extra floor tiles had floated across room which meant there was a good amount of water. I didn't find any leaks in the walls, they were dry. Which meant that the patches and dry lock paint seemed to work. I couldn't find any other leaks either. My best guess is the water came in too fast initially due the dry ground Friday night. Most of the water was gone by Saturday morning which was good. Also the pump kept up through the remainder of the rain.
The one positive is I found out that the floor I put in did its job. The edges were a little damp but the tops of floor weren't. Which means that if something like this happens again once there is carpet in the basement it won't get wet. I am going to install a water sensor as well so that I can catch the presence of water in the future before it is any problem at all. I was going to do it before but the total lack of rain for last two months made me lax. It can be believed as well that the instances of 7" of rain in less than 48 hours will be rare in future and I will be better prepared.
After the three hours of cleanup I did eventually go and hang out at the HoD for some turkey.